- Public Health
- COVID-19 Isolation & Quarantine
COVID-19 Isolation & Quarantine
I Tested Positive for COVID-19
Isolate at home for at least 5 days and wear a mask when around others for an additional 5 days.
Stay home. Do not go to work, school, or public places. Separate yourself from other people and animals in your home as much as possible.
• If you have symptoms - stay home and avoid others until you have been at least 24 hours without a fever (without fever-reducing medicine), your symptoms are resolving, and it has been 5 days since the first day you had symptoms. Continue to wear a well-fitted mask around others for 5 additional days.
• If you have not had any symptoms of COVID-19, stay home and avoid others until 5 days have passed since the day of your COVID-19 test. Continue to wear a well-fitted mask around others for 5 additional days.
Notify your close contacts. People in your household and others you would have been around should get tested, monitor for symptoms and stay home. For more specific guidance visit the Wisconsin Department of Health Services website. You should also notify your employer, school and day care provider.
Isolation Fact Sheets
- Next Steps: After Getting Diagnosed with COVID-19
- Next Steps: While You Wait for COVID-19 Test Results @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
I Had Close Contact with Someone with COVID-19
Wear a mask for at least 10 days after exposure, get tested 5 days after exposure.
Watch for Symptoms
Monitor your health for 10 days after you were exposed to someone with COVID-19. Check your temperature twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. If you don't have a thermometer, watch for symptoms of fever like chills or sweats. Watch for cough, difficulty breathing, or other symptoms of COVID-19. Write down any symptoms you have and when they begin. If you develop symptoms of COVID-19, isolate from others and get tested for COVID-19.
Get tested for COVID-19 five days after being exposed to COVID-19, even if you do not have symptoms. Get tested right away if you develop symptoms of COVID-19. If you test positive, follow isolation instructions.
If you've had COVID-19 in the last 90 days, follow specific recommendations for testing.
Wear a Mask
Wear a well-fitting mask around others at home and in public until 10 days after your last close contact with someone with COVID-19. Do not go places where you are unable to wear a mask.