COVID-19 Isolation & Quarantine
I Tested Positive for COVID-19
Isolate at home for at least 5 days and wear a mask when around others for an additional 5 days.
Stay home. Do not go to work, school, or public places. Separate yourself from other people and animals in your home as much as possible.
• If you have symptoms - stay home and avoid others until you have been at least 24 hours without a fever (without fever-reducing medicine), your symptoms are resolving, and it has been 5 days since the first day you had symptoms. Continue to wear a well-fitted mask around others for 5 additional days.
• If you have not had any symptoms of COVID-19, stay home and avoid others until 5 days have passed since the day of your COVID-19 test. Continue to wear a well-fitted mask around others for 5 additional days.
Notify your close contacts. People in your household and others you would have been around should get tested, monitor for symptoms and stay home. For more specific guidance visit the Wisconsin Department of Health Services website. You should also notify your employer, school and day care provider.
- Next Steps: After Getting Diagnosed with COVID-19
- Next Steps: Notifying Close Contacts After Getting Diagnosed
- Nexts Steps: Close Contact with Someone with COVID-19
- Next Steps: While You Wait for COVID-19 Test Results @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
I Had Close Contact with Someone with COVID-19
Wear a mask for at least 10 days after exposure, get tested 5 days after exposure.
Close contact is most often defined as having been within 6 feet of someone who tested positive for COVID-19, for more than 15 minutes within a 24 hour time span. For more information about what is considered close contact, visit the Wisconsin Department of Health Services website.
• If you are up to date on your COVID-19 vaccinations, or you tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 90 days you do not need to quarantine unless you develop symptoms. You need to wear a well-fitted mask while around others for 10 days after your exposure, and get tested 5 days after your exposure. If you develop symptoms get tested immediately. Avoid traveling, and avoid being around people who are high risk.
• If you are not up to date your COVID-19 vaccinations you need to stay home and quarantine for at least 5 days from when you were exposed, whereas the day that you were exposed is day 0. You need to wear a well-fitted mask while around others for 10 days day from your exposure. If you are not able to wear a mask you will need to quarantine for 10 days. You should watch out for symptoms for 10 days, and get tested immediately if symptoms develop.