The first Green County Sheriff took office in 1838. A temporary jail was used at the American House which was located in what is known as the White Block Building on the southwest corner of the square in Monroe.
First County Jail & Jailhouse Tap
The first County Jail, which was built out of logs prior to 1855, was destroyed by fire. This jail was located next to the local brewery and news reports indicate the brewery was saved from the adjoining flames by the efforts of citizens who kept the roof moistened with the contents from large beer vats inside.
That same year, proposals for a new jail were received and a jail made of stone was approved for construction on the same site which is now known as the Jailhouse Tap Tavern. The Jailhouse Tap is located about two blocks southwest of the downtown area.
Current Jail Facility
In 1959, the Sheriff's Office/Jail at the current location on the east side of Monroe was built to house up to 20 inmates. In 1980, a portion of the 1959 structure was torn down and an addition was added which increased the holding capacity to 70 beds.
Sheriff Killed in the Line Of Duty
One Green County Sheriff was killed in the line of duty on May 3, 1919 when Sheriff Matt Solbraa responded to a report of a man held up in a farm house seven miles north of Monroe. Reports of the incident indicated a homeless man had shot and killed a farmer and the Sheriff responded to the scene and confronted the man, ordering him to drop his weapon. The man fired and fatally injured Sheriff Solbraa.
Sheriff Solbraa's name is inscribed in the Wisconsin Law Enforcement Memorial on the ground of the Capitol at Madison, WI and the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial in Washington, D.C.